08/27/1858 – 08/24/1914
Buried at: Section 3 Site 1664-SS
Arlington National Cemetery
Born August 27, 1858, in Nunda Minnesota. He was a graduate of the United States military academy (appointed from Iowa), 1881; of the United States infantry and calvary school, 1887; of the St. Louis law school; Washington university (LL.B.), 1897; and of the Army War college, 1910. Served in the campaign of Santiago, Cuba (battle of San Juan and siege of Santiago), and in the Phillipines during the insurrection, 1900-1903, where he filled several important positions, including the management of the emergency rice fund in Luzon. Has was assistant professor of law and history at the United States military academy, and head of the departments of law and military art, and assistant commandant at the Army service schools at Fort Leavenworth. Was a Lietenant Colonel on the general staff in Washington. Was active in Masonic circles, having been instrumental in organizing the higher bodies of the Scottish Rite at Fort Leavenworth – bodies composed of military men exclusively.
He was promoted to COL in April 1914. Assigned to the 10th Cav in July, assumed command of the regiment on 1 August and died 24 August.
The Masonic bodies of Fort Leavenworth, in whose organization and perpetuation Colonel Boughton had been most active, sent special representatives to be present at the funeral. In addition to the usual military escort and ceremonies, the Washington Chapter, Knights Rose Croix, officiated in the beautiful and impressive Masonic services of the Scottish Rite, in the presence of a circle of his devoted family and friends. Some months later, the Masonic bodies of Fort Leavenworth mourned his loss in a Lodge of Sorrow: the eulogy of Colonel Boughton’s life and character being delivered by a devoted friend and Masonic Brother, Reverend H. Percy Silver, who came from West Point, New York, for this purpose.
Elected to Hancock Lodge. No. 311 of Fort Leavenworth. KS, and degree conferred. April 9, 1906: Charter member of Chapter, May 19, 1906; Charter member of Council, February 24, 1907: Charter member of Consistory, October 27, 1907. Offices held: Senior Warden (1906): Worshipful Master (1907); Venerable Master (1907); Master of the Kadosh (1908). Source: Annual Report of Graduates of USMA 1915.
Excerpt from The Washington Post – September 1, 1914
Daniel H. Boughton – The funeral of Colonel Daniel H. Boughton, Tenth Cavalry, was held at Arlington at 10 o’clock yesterday morning. The military escort consisted of a battalion of engineers from Washington Barracks with the Engineer Band. The burial ceremony was conducted by the Washington Consistory of the Scottish Rite. A committee from the Masonic Lodges by the Rev. Taylor Snyder of this city and was followed by a solo, Perfect Peace by J. Walker Humphrey of the Church of the Covenant. The ceremonies were concluded by the firing of a salute and the sounding of Taps. The pallbearers were General Frank McIntyre, Colonel Joseph E. Kuhn, Colonel J.E. McMahon, Colonel H.C. Hodges, Major Parker West and Major Charles Crawford.
Inscription: Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
Congressional Authorization to Build Boughton Memorial Hall
The following text is taken from The Statutes at Large of the Sixty-Sixth Congress Session I, Chapter 8, Sub-Chapter III, page 130, Approved 11 July 1919, for fiscal year ending in 30 June 1920.
Side notes of the Statute
Boughton Memorial Association.
May erect building Leavenworth, Kansas
Proviso. Use for post office free of charge.
Actual text of the Statute
BOUGHTON MEMORIAL ASSOCIATION : That the Boughton Memorial Association, a corporation organized and existing under the laws of the State of Kansas, be, and is hereby, authorized to erect and maintain a suitable building, under such regulations as the Secretary of War may prescribe, in and upon the United States military reservation at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, the plans of such building to be first approved and to be constructed in such location as may be prescribed by the Secretary of War : Provided, That the use of such portion of the ground floor of said building as may be necessary shall be given to the Post Office Department of the United States, free of charge, for the post-office service of the reservation .